smashed avocado-chili tartines.
smashed avocado-chili tartines.
Garlic Rubbed Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Tomatoes
- 8 slices bacon
- 3 oz (about 1 1/4 cups) grated Gruyère
- 3 oz (about 1 cup) grated fontina
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices Italian bread
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 to 2 large cloves garlic, halved and peeled for rubbing
- Cook the bacon in a heavy-bottomed skillet until browned and crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Pour off the grease from the pan and wipe clean.
- Combine the cheeses and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Lay 4 slices of the bread on your work surface, and distribute half of the cheese evenly among the bread. Top the cheese with 2 slices of bacon and then 2 or 3 slices of tomatoes (enough to cover the cheese and bacon). Evenly distribute the remaining cheese among the 4 sandwiches. Lightly butter one side of the remaining four slices of bread, and put them on top of the sandwiches, butter side up.
- Heat your heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Place the sandwiches butter side down in the pan and cook on the first side until the bread is golden brown and toasted. Meanwhile, butter the top slice of bread on each sandwich. Flip the sandwiches using a spatula and continue to cook on the other side until the bread is golden brown. You can use the spatula to compress the sandwich as it cooks on the second side. Remove the sandwiches from the pan and immediately rub both sides with the cut side of a garlic clove. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve.
crispy garlic roasted brussels sprouts.
OLIVE OIL, GARLIC, CHIVES AND ROMANO CHEESE MASHED POTATOES
2 lbs or 3 large potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and diced large
6 cups water (to boil the potatoes)
1 teaspoon salt (to add in boiling water to cook the potatoes)
4 cloves garlic, ends snipped and peeled
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup grated Romano cheese (or can use Parmesan cheese for substitute)
1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped chives
salt (optional and according to taste)
1. In a medium size saucepan, put diced potatoes, peeled garlic cloves and water and bring to a boil. Once the water boils, add the salt and cook potatoes until tender.
2. Drain the water from the saucepan of cooked potatoes and garlic. While still piping hot, mash the potatoes and garlic, either leave some bits unmashed (for texture) or mash until smooth.
3. Add the extra virgin olive oil and evaporated milk and continue to mash/mix.
4. Mix in the grated Romano Cheese and season with pepper and salt (optional and according to taste).
5. Fold-in the chopped chives. And serve hot or warm, with or without gravy.
Gorgonzola Garlic Bread
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola dolce, room temperature
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut in half
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- Cream the butter and gorgonzola and then mix in the garlic and parsley. Spread the mixture over the bread, top with the parmigiano reggiano and broil until golden brown.
HOW TO PEEL A HEAD OF GARLIC IN LESS THAN 10 SECONDS
jamiek: One minute. Watch it. Kitchen magic.
karlfundenberger: Cool! I love tricks like this. Well-done video.
Can’t wait to try this. This tip doubles as a wake up call.
sweet potato hummus.
linguini with clams.
salt cod chowder with garlic aioli.