Mango Filled Coconut Cupcakes with Mango Buttercream
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ground coconut (plus more for decorating)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
For mango filling:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 mango, finely chopped
For mango buttercream:
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 1 mango, minced
- 4 cups (or more) powdered sugar
- To make cupcakes, preheat oven to 350F and line 24 muffin cups with liners.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground coconut in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a measuring cup combine coconut milk, oil and vanilla extract, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time to the butter/sugar mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture and milk mixture in alternating batches, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and beat until combined.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners and bake for 20 minutes or until golden and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are baking prepare the filling.In a mixing bowl beat cream until whipped cream is formed, about 7 minutes. Mix in the finely chopped mango and set aside.
- While cupcakes are cooling, make mango buttercream. In a mixing bowl cream together mango and butter. Add powdered sugar slowly until everything is incorporated and smooth (add more powdered sugar if necessary to achieve the consistency desired) and set aside.
- Once cupcakes are completely cooled, make a hole in the center of each cupcake using a plunger (an apple corer works wonders too!) reserving tops. Pipe in mango cream to the center of each cupcake and return top to cupcake. Frost cupcakes with mango buttercream and decorate with coconut flakes.